Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Politics Of The Veil

3. How does the author come to the conclusion that “rather than resolving the problem of integrating Muslims into French society, the law banning headscarves has exacerbated it”? (179)


In the conclusion of The Politics of the Veil Wallach believes that the French may have good intentions with trying to implement Muslim women into their society but the idea of banning the veil, a religious staple in Muslim culture may be distasteful to some. The author went on to say that “surely there are better ways to deal with terrorism than banning someone’s headwear.” But looking at a different perspective Wallach stated that as the French are trying to implement the idea of equality for all and getting more women into jobs and careers the Muslim religion doesn’t believe in equal rights for women. French people view Muslims who think this way as inferior or less evolved. But what we’ve learned throughout the course of the semester is the idea of the 30 basic human rights. Crafted by then first lady Eleanor Roosevelt and a host of other foreign diplomats in the UN back in 1948, these rules or guidelines were put into place to make sure that the average global citizen could live a stress free life. In article 2 of the document it states that Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Some would say after looking at this that France and arguable the United States are going against this very right by controlling what people wear and discriminating people based on what religions they practice. Its our job as global citizen to learn from each other, respect one another and take on anyone who seeks out terror on this world for personal gains. Basically what Wallach is saying in the Politics Of The Veil is that the French should do a better job of respecting ones religion and its up to the people who practice the Muslim religion to be more current with the times and allow more equality and opportunity for their women. Recently Saudi Arabia just had its first election where women were legally allowed to vote and make a difference and I believe this is a massive step towards the right direction, an inclusive one. 

1 comment:


  1. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Pedro That Save My Family From Financial Bondage

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Pedro, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day I shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Pedro. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to the help of Mr, Pedro for giving me a meaning to life when I had lost all hope. If you are currently seeking loan assistance, you can contact them via: { pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp+1 863 231 0632 } Telegram @ pedroloanss

    ReplyDelete